Your décor may say a lot about your sense of taste, but what does it say about your health? Introducing some plant life into your home is a quick and easy way to revitalize your space and improve your well-being. Plants have been shown to reduce airborne toxins in your home, increase productivity and concentration, and even reduce stress. But that sure won’t be the case if you’re constantly worried about keeping them alive!
Terrariums with cacti or succulents are easy ways to get the beauty and enjoyment of a houseplant, even if you are known to not have the greenest thumb. With just a little bit of time and creativity, you’ll have a wholesome piece of décor that you can be proud of. Make it a family craft and greenify your entire home!
- Clear glass vase or container
- Potting soil for succulent and cactus
- Succulents and cacti of your choice
Follow These Steps
- To start, you’ll need a clear glass container with an opening on top. Get creative! A vase, fish bowl or even a cleaned out spaghetti sauce jar will work! Shop thrift stores, antique malls, or your kitchen cabinet.
- Fill the bottom of the vessel with a layer of pebbles (about one and a half inches) for water drainage.
- On top of the pebbles, add a layer (about two and a half inches) of potting soil, specifically made for succulents and cacti.
- Using a spoon, make a hole in the soil big enough for the roots of your largest plant, and nestle the roots in the hole. Press the soil down firmly around the roots to make sure it is tucked in tight.
- Plant the rest of your succulents or cacti in the same fashion, moving from largest to smallest.
- Finally, distribute about one fourth of an inch of white sand around the base of your plants (optional).
- Now for the fun touches. Add miniature animals, figurines, shiny marbles, rocks, or favorite stones.
For maintenance, keep your terrarium in a location near a window where it will get indirect sunlight, and lightly water approximately every two weeks or when the soil dries out. Enjoy this sweet addition to your home. If you’re looking for more decorating ideas, head by any of our models and see what life could look like in a home by Shea Homes®!
Tagged as: arizona, crafts, decor, decorations, family, green living, health, home, lifestyle, phoenix, plants, shea homes, terrarium,well-being