At the start of a new year, it’s common to crave change or improvement. It’s the time of year many of us create goals for the next 12 months and envision what the next year will look like. And while some goals may be bigger, like saving to buy a new home, others may be a little more instantly gratifying, like finally organizing the garage or lugging all of your old clothes to the donation drop off. From big to small goals alike, we’ve collected 5 ways to help you kick off a fresh
1. Discover your interior design style. Feeling a little ‘blah’ or scattered with your current interior décor? You may be having a little trouble nailing down exactly what kind of style you like. Take some time to create a dreamboard on Pinterest and give your imagination time to explore the types of furnishings, colors and styles you are most drawn to. If that sounds too time consuming for your busy schedule, try taking our interior design style quiz to see what best matches your personal taste.
Style Tip: Once you’ve nailed your style, start thinking through how each room’s décor can flow into the next with a cohesive and pulled together look. It doesn’t have to be matchy-matchy everything, but the overall aesthetic and color scheme should blend easily.
2. Spruce up a room with a new coat of paint. Painting is an easy, low-cost way to really make a big impact in your interior design. If the thought of getting everything together to paint a room intimidates you, use our helpful guide to painting your home to gather your thoughts on color, prep and execution before you get started.
Style Tip: Navy blue is a beautifully versatile wall color. It easily warms up a room without being too neutral and creates a complementary backdrop to most color palettes, too!
3. Embrace a new color trend. Pantone Color Institute announced the official color of 2017 as Greenery. Jump on the trend and add a splash of greenery to your walls with paint, make a fresh statement with a trendy piece of furniture or incorporate more subtle notes with throw pillows, picture frames or actual live, green plants!
Style Tip: Go all in or take the new color trend in stride. From patterned drapes to potted plants and feature walls, greenery inspiration is easy to work with!
4. Organize your space. Use the start of the year to finally sort and put everything in its rightful place at home. Start by using a home organization checklist to keep track of what needs to be done and how to make it happen. Also, lists are a great way to break down big tasks into bite-sized jobs that you can tackle in an hour or an afternoon.
Quick Tip: Pull open the drawers in your kitchen and see where the biggest source of chaos is. Start with the most troublesome spot, take everything out and begin to group like things together. Place everything back in whichever space you choose with its like items. This will save you time in finding what you need down the road.
5. Fix up your fixtures. From smaller details like drawer pulls to bigger changes like overhead lighting, you can change a room quickly by swapping out the fixtures in a room. These small changes can make a big impact on the overall style of a space without making any other wide-sweeping changes to the entire décor of a room.
Style Tip: Lighting fixture trends in 2017 are leaning towards architectural details with black steel frames and glass pendant covers.
What projects and goals are you tackling in the new year? Let us know in the comments and be sure to pin your favorite images from this post to keep your décor inspiration fresh!