The homebuilding industry is going green. Although many 55+ homebuilders are hearing the needs of consumers and creating energy-efficient homes, few are building completely net-zero homes for Boomers looking to live an environmentally friendly and economically logical lifestyle. But, now, Trilogy has introduced Boomers to green home building with SheaXero- No Electric Bill Homes™.
What is a net-zero home?
A net-zero home is a home that uses as much energy as it produces through its energy-efficient features, which often results in little or no electric bills for homeowners.
With a variety of net-zero homes on the market today, it can be confusing to determine which is the right net-zero home for you.
About SheaXero – The No Electric Bill Home
No bills. No gimmicks. No kidding. This is how SheaXero™ homeowners describe the state-of the-art, energy-efficient package offered exclusively through Trilogy by Shea Homes. As the first builder to offer a home that produces as much electricity as it uses as a national standard, SheaXero serves as the leader in energy-efficient homes. But, how does SheaXero differ from other net-zero homes?
While other homebuilders tout their solar system, insulation, energy-efficient lighting and/or Energy Star-rated appliances that come at an additional cost, SheaXero’s premiere 14 energy-efficient features come standard at no extra cost to homebuyers. This can amount to a cost-savings of almost $40,000!
SheaXero™ Energy-Efficient Features
SheaXero offers several high quality energy-efficient features, including:
- Solar Power System: The Solar Power System in SheaXero homes generates clean, renewable energy that saves money and offsets your home’s consumption to help get to net-zero electric. While other active adult builders may tout offering a 2-kilowatt solar system, SheaXero starts at 3 kilowatts minimum. Having a high quality Solar Power System can reduce your electric bills, as well as increase your home’s value over time.
- Dual-Pane, Low-E Vinyl Windows: SheaXero’s Dual-Pane, Low-E vinyl windows let in visible light, while minimizing heat transmission and improving comfort. The special coating on the glass allows for heat to stay outside in the hotter months, and cold air to stay outside in the cooler months. The vinyl frames for the windows also offer superior insulation.
- Jenn-Air® Energy Star® Appliances: Jenn-Air® Energy Star® Appliances are the technological leader in performance kitchen appliances with countless product patents, exclusive features and industry-firsts. In addition. the appliances use 40% less energy than required by federal standards.
- Trane® Energy-Efficient HVAC System: The Trane® energy-efficient HVAC system is submitted through a thorough testing program, assuring homeowners that they are purchasing a top-of-the-line HVAC system for their home. The technology in the Trane systems is designed to achieve maximum efficiency, reliability and comfort, including special Trane ComfortLink technology, which allows the heating and cooling systems to communicate with each other in real time. The system also runs its own self-diagnostics to ensure the proper airflow for heating and cooling modes, as well as the correct heat source configuration and blower timings.
- Blown-in Wall Insulation: Shea Homes’ blown-in wall insulation fills every gap with a floor-to-ceiling thermal blanket made from recycled cellulose. This high quality insulation helps regulate temperatures in the drastic winter and summer months, reducing a major reason for energy loss. This type of insulation’s capacity to prevent heat or cold from moving throughout the house is far more consistent than other insulations. Not only does this help limit heating and cooling costs, but it also resists moisture, reduces noise and preserves natural resources, adding to the efficiency of your home.
- Insulated and Sealed Ducts & Draft Reductive Construction: Sealed ducts reduce air loss from your HVAC system making it more energy efficient, and tight construction means less leakage and higher energy efficiency.
- Insulated Garage Doors: Offering the highest level of insulation and the least effort to maintain, SheaXero’s garage doors are a superior value.
- Digital Programmable Thermostat: The digital programmable thermostat automatically adjusts your home’s temperature for more efficient operation.
- CFL Bulbs: Compact fluorescent light bulbs are used in place of less efficient incandescent bulbs, maximizing your energy use over time.
- Occupancy Sensor Switches: SheaXero’s occupancy sensor switches automatically turns on lights with motion so you waste less electricity.
- Dimmer Switches: The dimmer switches control lighting intensity, allowing for you to determine the amount of energy to use for lighting at various times.
Other SheaXero Home Features
In addition, SheaXero homes are eco-friendly and well equipped to reduce the burden on other natural resources. From low flow Delta® faucets and showerheads to framing with certified wood from sustainable forests, the introduction of SheaXero homes is yet another milestone in Shea Home’s long-standing commitment to conservation.
Most importantly though, home design is not sacrificed to achieve this ground breaking energy performance. Livability remains paramount for the award-winning builder, with abundant natural light, open layouts, ergonomic vanity countertops and Five Sided Architecture™ to make each home’s exterior unique.
Take it from SheaXero homeowners Paul and Lavone Oldale. They enjoy the money they save from not having to pay an electric bill by travel around the world to far off places like South Africa, Antarctica and more. SheaXero homes can save homeowners up to $3,000 a year.
“I have friends that pay up to $400 in the summer for their electric bill, and mine has been next to nothing,” said Paul. “For anyone who’s on the fence about getting a SheaXero home, I’d tell them to look and consider long and hard before living anywhere else. That is huge savings.”
As a part of Barbara Kurowski‘s perfect retirement checklist, she wanted an eco-friendly home. Trilogy Orlando had Barbara covered with its upgraded SheaXero Home. “We were ecstatic about having a green home,” said Barbara. “That, and having solar, were both important to us. We knew this was the type of lifestyle that we wanted to commit to. We wanted to live green, so that was one of the determining factors for us.”
As an added bonus, the money Barbara saved with SheaXero has afforded her extra cash to spend on friends, family and awesome trips. “I had an old home in the summer where I was paying roughly $300 a month on electricity. With SheaXero, my last two bills were $16.
Don’t Miss Your Opportunity to Save. Find Your SheaXero Home!
Experience the SheaXero difference yourself. To find a SheaXero home near you, visit our website or call 1-800-685-6494.
Please note that homes in our Washington and Florida communities offer SheaXero as an option. Call us today to find out more about Trilogy and Shea Homes’ energy-efficient programs at one of our luxurious, 55+ community near you.